Any changes on current benefits
Report changes that affect your benefits
Your benefits could go up, down or stop if there are changes in your family or work life.
You must report any changes to your circumstances to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
Do this as soon as possible to make sure you get the right amount of tax credits. You’ll have to pay back the money if you’re overpaid.
Changes you must report
Tell HMRC straight away if your:
- living circumstances change, for example you start or stop a relationship, move in with a new partner, get married or form a civil partnership, permanently separate or divorce
- child or partner dies
- child leaves home, for example moves out or goes into care
- child is taken into custody
- child over 16 leaves approved education or training, or a careers service
- childcare costs stop, go down by £10 or more a week, or you start getting help with them
- childcare provider is no longer registered or approved
- working hours fall below 30 hours a week (combined if you’re in a couple with children)
- working hours fall below or go above the minimum required to qualify